Saturday, July 13, 2019

A Bit of Personal Work

After being asked to share some of my personal work, I decided to collect six photographs that were all taken within the same two months of each other. These two months marked travels between Kansas City, New York, London, and Paris, yet I return to the same photographic style throughout. I believe in capturing similar moments between these very different places we are able to uncover the human truth that we are more similar than we are different. 

All of the photographs below were captured on a Canon AE-1 with Ilford HP-5 film at 400 ISO. They were then developed in the dark room, and what you are looking at here are scans of prints, indicated by their slightly different coloring variations. 

468. New York, New York, April 2019

Don's Liquor. Kansas City, Missouri, April 2019

Salvation Army. Roeland Park, Kansas, April 2019

B&W Deli. New York, New York, March 2019

Will Call. Kansas City, Missouri, April 2019

Luxembourg Garden Theatre. Paris, France, March 2019
When taking photographs, I try to abide by Henry Wessel's process as I have talked about in a previous post: don't think before taking the photograph. In doing this, I believe I am able to capture pure moments in time, even if there is not any movement involved. In every shot,  I am capturing a different time of day, a different place, a different scenario where we interact differently depending on what our environment is. I believe it is important to let these places, despite their mundane nature, shine in their own ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment